Monday, September 15, 2008

La Comida

All right, I’m a-gonna be honest for a sec here: I seriously have no idea what half the stuff I consume at the Fundación actually is. I’m thinking that in reality this might be a good thing, though, so you know, whatevs with that. But I feel as if I must devote some space to the food.

First and foremost, I have to say that the fruit is FRIGGIN’ INCREDIBLE! The oranges are succulent, the apples gorgeous, the bananas… well, the bananas aren’t that great, but meh, the watermelon is dece, the peaches banging, and the pineapple is marvelpendous. But none of them can hold the proverbial candle to the two mystery frutas that the Fund boasts.

The first of these legendary items is… the… um… well, I don’t actually know what it is, but it’s delicious. Preliminary accounts and service recon missions had it scouted as being honey dew, or muskmelon, if you will. However, said reports have turned out to be false in nature. Its physical characteristics are as follows: light green in coloration with a darker kind of spotty green peel. It’s always cut, though, prior to serving so I’ve yet to see it in its natural form. It boasts a citrusy, sweet taste as well. One can only pose conjecture as to what it actually is… of course, one could also ask one of the cooks, but to that I say no.

The second of these treats has been identified as a plum of some sort… however, it’s quite different from your standard run-of-the-mill plum found throughout err’where else. The skin is quite akin to said fruit, but the inside not so much. It’s almost nectarine-like. Except it’s a good nectarine. Not like those crappy one’s that one might procure at the local Terry’s Holiday Market. Thus it only stands to reason that we the peeps of the Fund have since dubbed this miracle foodstuff as the elusive “pectarine.” In fact, we’re all so enamored with this treat that we’ve since taken on a new sport, The Pectarine Toss. Such a thing simply cannot be adequately described in a literary context, but let’s just say that we now have a sweet idea for the Fundación’s talent show!



But alas, it’s not all mystery green fruits and pectarines. While the vast majority of the food is actually pretty edible, there’s still some that completely baffles me in terms of its taste. Take for example, the weird concoctions of vegetables that the cooks throw together. I mean, I hate on vegetables all the time, but there’s some serious missteps over here wit dat. I guess, though, I can’t complain too much as I’m able to duck everything that seems bad on the surface level.

But back to the awesome, a couple of days ago there was friggin’ PIZZA! Yeah, they made some pie for us! And yeah, I just used a New Joisey term for pizza; big whoop, wanna fight about it?! I can’t begin to describe to you my excitement for this ‘za. Oh, goodness me for delectableness. Not to mention the fact that they busted some chicken out on us the other day too. Heck yeah! I must say that I can only assume that I looked eerily reminiscent of this guy upon my initial viewing of said pollo spectacular-osity.


Lastly in relation to the food, I’m obliged to mention the drinkables that are to be found here. Or rather, the lack thereof. For breakfast one is treated to some orange drink option, so of course I rep that, however this zumo = not so much, but nonetheless, I take it down with gusto. For lunch and dinner the only available drink is water or, as we in the Spanish speaking world know it as, agua. That’s less-than-stellar at best. The lack of milk (well, there’s milk available for one’s cereal in the morning, but that’s it, and even then…) and proper orange juice is nothing short of disconcerting for me. It’s gonna be a hard few months sans my drinks of choice. I’d totally go out and buy some however there’s defs a lack of a place to store it, so it is what it is, I guess. I feel like I’m slightly dehydrated at times due all these factors, but whatevs, I imagine I’ll fully adjust shortly. Plus, I eat a boat load of fruit, so that’s certainly helping as well. But meh, overall the food here's pretty able to be eaten, and that's all I can really ask for.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Sounds amazing over there Aaron! Where are you staying? With a family or what?

Aaron Landin said...

I be living in a dorm in the ridiculously old school town of Toledo. Pretty tight, yo.

Anonymous said...

So what I take from this is: the food alone is worth the trip. Almost Heroes anyone? Ah? But really, sounds friggen awesome over yonder sea.

Anonymous said...

Needs more double cheeseburgers.